The objective to create a destination, focus for meeting, and sense of place between the Pier and The Source Park has been extended to “signpost” the White Rock area as a destination. The new concept refers to the origins of the name White Rock and symbolises its history.
Site History
The name White Rock originally referred to the headland which existed between Hastings town to the east and St Leonards to the west. The headland prevented the passage along the sea front at high tide and visitors had to detour via Cuckoo Hill to reach Hastings. This was particularly embarrassing during the visit of Princess Victoria in 1834 when she could not reach Hastings because of the high tide.
The people of Hastings realised the headland was restricting trade and the prosperity of the town. The decision was made through public subscription to blow up the rock, with the debris reportedly removed piece by piece by the public. Once the headland was removed, the town developed westward, but the area retained its historic White Rock nomenclature.
Design Proposal
The final design builds on both the “Sea Mist” concept and the historic narrative. The central area of the fountain will be made accessible from the south via a ramped surface. The plaza which is formed will be surfaced in solid paving with a central feature of a group of fragmented white rocks. Water misters flush with the surface of the paving will create a “sea mist” which children and adults can walk through.
The white rocks symbolise the White Rock headland, blown apart by a central jet of water and its fragments enveloped by the “sea mist”. The rocks will have the words “White Rock Hastings” carved into the surface, signposting the location and reinforcing the sense of place.







